There is a moment every Hunt Valley winter when you can’t uncover the root of the draft in your home. It could potentially be coming from a window that isn’t secured or sealed well. Even the thinnest of cracks can make homes uncomfortable and chilly, possibly resulting in:
- Cold air escaping into your home
- Larger heating and cooling costs
Consistent with the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program, you can save 10 percent on your total energy bill, or 20 percent of your heating and cooling costs, with correctly sealed windows. To help limit spending and cut down drafty air from flowing into your home, it’s essential to be able to identify where these window drafts might be located and why. Here are some beneficial tips to find your Hunt Valley home’s drafts and examine for issues:
- Look for gaps and fractures in strange points of air leakage, such as knee walls, outdoor faucets, attic hatches or just the normal windows with functional capabilities and use a straightforward visual inspection.
- Examine to ensure that windows and doors are shut and latched.
- Ensure the sealant or gasket near the operable portion of the window or door is accurately sealing.
- Test the installation by determining if the draft is traveling through the window or around the window, between the window and the rough opening. A window will only perform as well as it is installed.
- Call an expert from Pella Windows and Doors in Hunt Valley to have them run a home energy audit.
Once you’ve recognized where the draft or air leakage is deriving from, the next step is to address the foundation of the draft or air leakage. As always, give the specialists in Hunt Valley a call at 301-354-3633 with any additional questions or possible replacement needs.